Cloud Native applications are built without employing a monolithic software codebase and are designed to operate in Cloud compute environments without heavyweight abstraction layers or services. Built in a modular manner and operating independently but on a common host and cloud operating system, Cloud Native applications leverage cloud compute frameworks and infrastructures, which themselves comprise multiple, distinct, lightweight common services. With minimal overheads, Cloud Native applications are flexible and highly efficient.
Cloud Native applications:
- Use common server infrastructures that provide on-demand compute capacity
- Are typically backed by community-driven open source software projects
- Employ granular, decoupled, microservices software components
- Are packaged and deployed within lightweight Container environments
- Take advantage of granular cloud orchestration and low-overhead networking
- Can be built and released using highly efficient DevOps methodologies