Below are some of my blogs related with Oracle WebCenter Content(WCC):
Pratima 27th March 2015
1. Oracle WebCenter Content 126.96.36.199.0
Oracle WebCenter Content Release 11g (188.8.131.52.0) includes the following new and changed features:
- Oracle WebCenter Content User Interface: This newly developed way of accessing documents offers an easy and intuitive user interface with drag-and-drop convenience and sophisticated searching capabilities. It offers a simple way to store, secure, retrieve, and share any type of document. See Part II. Note that the feature-rich native 11g user interface is still supported for those who need to manage rich media beyond traditional office documents, including images, records, and videos. For more information see Part III.
- Support for Mobile Devices: Oracle WebCenter Content now offers apps for your Apple iPad, iPhone, or Android phone or tablet, allowing you to work securely where and how you want.See Chapter 26.
Some images and a video of the brand new interface can be seen below:
2. PDF page numbers in WebCenter Content:
I am wondering how can i know the number of pages of each document in the UCM, is there a table that stores this information ? is there a script that i can run to know this information ?
Keeping in mind that all the documents are in PDFformat.
3. Most Common WebCenter Content Support Issues:
Here at USS we provide a number of support contracts to our clients covering all aspects of Oracle WebCenter. I thought it would be interesting to highlight the top three support requests and more importantly how to resolve them.
Here they are, our top UCM support issues and questions.
a. I checked in a document and it hasn’t appeared
This issue is actually more common than you might expect. There are normally three reasons why this might happen.
1. The document is in Workflow
2. The document hasn’t been converted
3. The item hasn’t been indexed
If your document is in workflow it won’t appear in the search results unless your workflow has been specifically configured to allow it. Also, you may not have access to it if you’re not the document approver. To locate the document you should be able to browse to Content Management -> Active Workflows and drill down until you find it. If you look at the Workflow Information it should tell you who it is waiting for approval from.
For the next two cases the document will be found in Work In Progress. If a document hasn’t been converted it will be in the GenWWW state. Conversion could fail for a number of reasons including timeouts or password protected files. The first thing to try is to resubmit the item. On the Actions menu item for the content you can get to the Content Information screen and from there you should see a conversion error and a resubmit button.
If the document is stuck in the Done status then it will have gone past the conversion stage and will be waiting for the indexer. Normally if you wait a little while the item will appear but sometimes it does need a nudge. In order to do this open the Repository Manager, find the item and right-click to select Resubmit. If that doesn’t work then you should check the status of the indexer and if necessary restart the incremental index. If you’re still having problems then you need to check the Indexer for issues. To do this increase the log level of the indexer and resubmit the content item. If any errors are found you will now see them in the logs. Finally, don’t forget to reset the log level back to normal otherwise things will start going really slowly.
b. My Content Server is going really slowly
Ok, I’ll say this straight off but this could be a tricky one to resolve. The Content Server is composed of a myriad of parts all working togeather to provide the full functionality. Performance issues can arise from any section so it’s important to drill down and find out what’s going on. However, before you do make sure you ask yourself these questions:
1. Has the performance always been bad or has it got worse?
2. If it’s got worse has this been a gradual process or did it happen suddenly?
Answering these questions should give you some pointers such as,
* if performance has always been bad it looks like an installation or customisation issue. I would check the memory settings first off because if they haven’t been altered you’ll be using the default settings which are pretty small
* if the performance suddenly got worse have a look for any patches or config entries which have been changed recently; finally;
* if the performance has gradually deterioated then this points towards a load issue either with the number of document or the number of users
The Oracle support site has a great article about resolving performance issues. Sign in to My Oracle Support and take a look at article: 744963.1
c. Check out and Open isn’t working
Check Out and Open is a neat component which lets you click on a document link, open it in Word and save your changes back to the Content Server all without needing to check the document out and in again. However there is an issue with Check Out And Open and Office 2010. Office 2010 requires webdav over ssl, so you need to do a little tweaking to UCM to allow this. Follow these steps:
1. Set UseSSL=Yes in the config.cfg file (or set via the Admin server).
2. In IIS enable the SSL port (443), install a certificate and disable non SSL access.
3. Restart IIS and UCM.
After configuring SSL the system should be thorougly retested to ensure there are no dependencies on http paths (that have moved to https).
Points to note:
1. You will need to ensure that the environment is accessible both internally and over the existing SSL connection
2. Users may have bookmarked non SSL URLs. Consider providing a mapping/rewrite so that non SSL URLs are transparently mapped to the SSL port.
To revert to non-SSL usage:
1. Set UseSSL=No in the config.cfg file
2. In IIS enable non-SSL access
3. Restart IIS and UCM
Do you support a WebCenter Content/UCM application? If so tell us what your top issues are in the comments below.
If you’re looking for support for an Oracle UCM system or you’re interested in upgrading to the latest WebCenter Content environment please get in contact.